In an effort to ensure Claims Associates and Rehab Associates continues our education and training, as well as keeping in touch with our industry, we attended the annual South Dakota Workers’ Compensation (WC) Summit. This year the summit was held June 20 through June 21, 2018 at the Sheraton Sioux Falls and Convention Center.
This two-day educational conference incorporates all aspects of WC coverage, claims, case management and more. The structure allows the exchange of ideas among WC professionals.
In attendance from Claims Associates and Rehab Associates were:
- Jennifer Andrisen Selzler
- Nancy Almendinger
- Lynette DeJong
- Jennifer Heinricy
- Amy Kvernmo
- Wendi Peterson
- Kimberly Rausch
- Kelly Rud
- Deb Whipple
These professionals represented Claims Associates WC Department, as well as Rehab Associates Case Managers.
The event includes industry-specific speakers, including some of the following topics:
- 2018 WC Trends
- Healthcare pathway differences
- WC – Ideas for improvement
- Aging and shifting employer expectations
- Evidence to prevent claims/improve claim management
- OSHA – activity and trends
- Strategies to use data for improvement and Return to Work
- Fit for Duty components
- Understanding catastrophic injuries
Just a few of the many speakers included:
- James Marsh, Owner – JE-Marsh Consulting
- Amy Dee, RN – Motivational Humorist
- Sheila Stanley – Dept of Labor
- Mark Pew – Preferred Medical
In addition to the educational piece of the conference was a Trade Show, which Claims Associates and Rehab Associates attended as a vendor. This tradeshow is a great opportunity for networking, and providing access to many knowledgeable vendors. The Summit attracts WC professionals from all across South Dakota, as well as surrounding states, and anyone doing business in/with SD in WC.